Shrimp and Chocolate Tortilla Soup Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
September 7, 2011 · Print This Article
Inactive Prep Time:
8 to 10 servings
2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetenedcocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon groundred pepper
- 2 (32-ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can dicedtomatoes
- 2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 pound medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Sour cream, for garnish
In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, and pepper; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until tender. Add cocoa, cumin, coriander, red pepper, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and corn. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Puree the soup using an emersion blender or hand-held mixer. Add the tortilla chips and add shrimp. Place the pan on low heat, cover, and simmer the soup about 5 to 10 minutes or until the shrimp are just cooked.
Ladle the soup into serving bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream.